If it hasn't been completely obvious, I'm addicted to pasta. I won't turn this into one of those blogs where I have to relate every single recipe with some previous experience or a story to share about it because that's not me. I love food, story not necessary.
However, growing up in Brazil "Mac n cheese" is not something I EVER ate growing up and it was something I found to be extremely disgusting in texture and taste.
Bring on Veganism, and the grocery store non-dairy cheese was an even bigger hot mess than the dairy alternative, leaving that sticky weird unmeltable cheese stuck behind your teeth.
So I said screw it, I can make it better.
Let me know what you think of this recipe, its a really healthy alternative, can be made gluten free, and is super filling.
FOR THE "CHEESE"
1 1/2 cups of cashews (soaked for 20-24 hours keep this away from the sunlight to avoid fermentation, and switch the water if it looks too cloudy)
3-4 Golden Potatoes (peeled and boiled)
1/2 of a yellow onion
1-2 cloves of garlic
1/2 a gutted tomato (optional)
Nondairy milk (at your discretion)
cayenne (optional if you like spicy)
1. Drain the cashews and throw them in the blender, pulse a few times and add the onion and garlic
2. Keep blending, I recommend scraping the sides and blending without adding the milk until you get a smooth consistency (if you don't have a powerful blender you may need to add a SMIDGE of milk to it)
3. When the chunks are gone begin adding the tomato and potatoes slowly and blending, also adding almond milk and scraping the sides to mix well.
4. Add the seasonings to taste, and milk till you get the desired consistency, sometimes Im in the mood for thicker, and at times I like it more like a sauce.
5. This will make more than you need for your Mac n cheese, feel free to cut the recipe in half if you'd like or you can jar the rest and use for a yummy nacho cheese dip.
THE MAC N CHEESE
Box of favorite pasta (g/f works too!)
Bread crumbs (g/f option)
1. boil the noodles
2. mix it all up
3. option to eat as is
4. put in casserole dish and top with bread crumbs
5. bake 10-15 minutes (10 covered 5 uncovered)
let me know what you think!